Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stop messing with my schedule!

Ah my boy loves routine.  Watching him manage the humans in his world is like watching an orchestra conductor.  Every event has it's place and purpose, timing is everything, and he expects 100% commitment from those of us that 'help' make his schedule happen. 

We laugh about his predictability should one of his humans forget our duties, or delay the schedule by more than 15min.  Atticus has a very methodical, tried, and true process to get us back on schedule.  He will begin rallying the troops with his unique 'chirping' technique, soon to be amped up with full on barking in your face.  It is an absolute riot.....ok right now it it is a riot.  At the time, I want to bark back in his face.

Today was an interesting day in that I was home sick.  Nothing eventful, just your garden variety illness, but what was fascinating was this was the first time I really studied my boy's commitment to his schedule.  Was he happy I was home, absolutely.  But, was I going to be let off the hook with my 'duties' because I was under the weather?  No way.  "Get up, feed me, let me outside...don't care if you are on a conference call, I HAVE to bark at that darn dog up the street that gets on my last nerve.  Oh and can you take me outside again? THAT squirrel is doing something to my yard."  He was RELENTLESS and yet absolutely perfect.

I have been struggling lately with commitment.  Not the relationship kind, but rather the take care of yourself and fully engage kind of commitment.  The snooze button, the treadmill that now works as our clothes drying rack,  and the chocolate old fashioned doughnut I now consume (daily), are all blaring signs reminding me of how unrelentless I am in managing my life these days.

And, yet....
There is this beautiful black hound snoring at the foot of my bed who reminds me that you can be relentless in taking care of yourself first.  Now if he could just tone down that barking a notch or two....

1 comment: